It has been another short but fun-packed week! Children at the Juniors really enjoyed themselves yesterday lunchtime as they paid for the opportunity to throw wet sponges at their teachers, Mr Burkinshaw and myself to raise money for the Year 6 play, Beauty and the Beast. Thank you to all the teachers who volunteered to be soaked and to all the children who managed to raise a fantastic £411! This week has also been ‘Respect Week’ where classes have been mixed and children have worked together, focusing on the impact of what we say and do on others and taking part in PSHE respect linked activities. Kingston Police Safer Schools Team visited Years 5&6 on Wednesday to talk to them about internet safety and how to stay safe in difficult situations. In sporting activities this week, our Year 6 cricketers played well in a competition at Kingston Grammar School and our Years 5/6 tennis team won the majority of their matches at Surbiton Racket Club yesterday, coming fifth overall. You can see photos of these and more in the attached newsletter.
New Malden to Raynes Park Walking & Cycling link launch
A new walking and cycling link between New Malden and Raynes Park will be opening on Saturday 13th July in collaboration with Merton and Kingston Councils. Sustrans, a UK sustainable transport charity, will be installing some ‘Nature Trail’ features along the link including 3 interpretation boards and several wooden bollards with nature designs on them and we are very excited that our Year 5 & 6 pupils will be involved in creating these designs. To co-ordinate this, members of their staff will be coming to school to run design sessions with the children sometime in early June.
On the launch day of the route (Saturday 13th July), there will be an opening event with London’s walking and cycling commissioner Will Norman and local councillors in attendance, as well as activities including chainsaw woodcarving, cargo bike rides and a nature trail activity.
Meeting with Zac Goldsmith
Several governors and I met with Zac Goldsmith to seek his support with the budget in such difficult times. He, Ed Davy and Vince Cable have an appointment to meet with Damian Hinds, Secretary of State for Education. He has promised to update us after this and we will share his feedback.
Sponsored Readathon – Juniors
A reminder that this term at the juniors there is a sponsored readathon. Your child should have come home with an information leaflet. You can sponsor your child online. There is a £10 National Book Token for the child who raises the most money! Please can your child bring the sponsorship form to school and hand in to their teacher by Friday 7th June.
Princess Alice Hospice – Teacher Triathlon
Two of our teachers – Mrs Bond and Mrs Robinson – have been training whenever possible, in preparation for a super sprint triathlon at Blenheim Palace on June 1st. They are raising money for Princess Alice Hospice. If you’d like to sponsor them, follow the link https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/matthew-robinson45
We would be very grateful for any donations of childrens’ aprons or old shirts at the Infant site. If anyone has any old ones that are too small or they no longer use, especially if they have sleeves, please could you hand in to the office.
Diabetes UK Good Diabetes Care in School Award
I am very pleased to inform you that our School has been nominated for the Diabetes UK Good Diabetes Care in School Award. The award celebrates and showcases schools that deliver good care and support to children and teenagers with Type 1 diabetes. As part of the nomination, Diabetes UK is inviting parents and carers to complete a brief online parent survey at www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/school-nomination
Please follow the link to the survey if you would like to show your support or to oppose this nomination. The survey should take no more than two minutes to complete. You can answer this survey anonymously if you want to. Please be advised that you have until Friday 7th June to respond to this parent survey. Responses to this parent survey will be used by Diabetes UK to assess our school’s nomination for the award.
Free Yoga Taster Session
One of our parents has very kindly offered to give a free one hour yoga taster session for all parents and staff. Yogareef classes are open to all levels looking to get fitter and enhance their emotional, physical and mental strength. If you are interested, please come along to the free, no obligation session at 5.45pm on Wednesday 19th June in the Junior hall. All parents and staff are welcome.
Year 6 Residential Talk – Thursday 6th June @ 7 p.m.
There will be a talk for parents about Year 6’s trip to the Isle of Wight on Thursday 6th June at 7 p.m. in the Junior Hall. Year 6 are welcome to attend.
Skipping Workshop – Juniors
The skipping workshop at the Juniors will take place on the first day back after half term, Monday 3rd June. Ropes will be on sale after school on the day.
Term Dates 2020/2021
Term dates for 2020/2021 have now been finalised. Please see our website for details.
I hope you all have a relaxing half term.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for the remainder of the summer term.
- Monday, 3rd June – First day back after half term & Junior Skipping Workshop
- Thursday 6th June – Y6 Isle of Wight Parents’ Talk @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Saturday 15th June – Summer Fair 12-4pm (Infants)
- Tuesday, 25th June New Reception Parents @ 7 p.m.*
- Wednesday 26th June Year 6 Performance @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Thursday 27th June Year 6 Performance @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Tuesday, 2nd July – Country Dancing Festival a.m.*#
- Tuesday 2nd July – Y3 Meet the New Teacher @ 3:45 p.m. (Year 2)*
- Wednesday 3rd July – New Classes Day (All)
- Thursday 4th July – Y6 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 5)*
- Thursday 4th July – Summer Music Concert @ 7 p.m. *
- Friday 5th July – Junior Sports Day @ 9:15 a.m. (Juniors)*
- Friday 5th July – Nursery closed for current pupils
- Monday 8th July to Friday 12th July – Residential Trip to the Isle of Wight (Year 6)
- Monday 8th July – Y2 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 1)*
- Tuesday 9th July – Y4 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 3)*
- Wednesday 10th July – Y5 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 4)*
- Thursday 11th July – Y1 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Reception)*
- Friday 12th July – Infant Sports Day @ 9:15 a.m. (Infants)*
- Monday 15th July – Reserve date for Junior sports day
- Wednesday 17th July – Leavers Discos (Years 2 and 6)#
- Friday 19th July – End of Year Service @ 9:45 a.m.*#
- Friday 19th July – Year 6 Leavers’ Service @ 10:45 a.m.*
- Friday 19th July – School Finishes @ 2:15 p.m. (Infants) and 2:30 p.m. (Juniors)
#Parent help needed