As we approach the busy Christmas period, the school halls have been in great demand this week for all the Christmas production rehearsals. There has also still been plenty of activity in the classrooms. Reception have been making their own stickmen after reading the story of ‘Stick Man’, Year 1 have been investigating toys from the past and the Year 2 classrooms have been filled with colourful teddy bears that the children brought to school for a special art lesson with an art specialist teacher. Year 3 have continued exploring different myths, learning about Hercules and Year 4 have been very busy planning their Christmas sweet making. Year 5 have been planning their own stories and Year 6 have discovered how to make blood proof fabric! You can see pictures of some of these and more in this month’s newsletter. To read it, click here.
Junior Performance – A Christmas Journey
This week we have been practising songs, learning lines and trying out the stage. Please see the curriculum emails you receive for your year group today to find out what costumes/clothes your child/ren will need. Please send this in a named plastic bag as soon as possible next week. Our first dress rehearsal is Monday 9th December.
Parent Rep Meeting
Thank you to the parent reps who came to the meeting this afternoon. Please see attached the notes of the discussion.
Your child should have brought home a viewing card for their school photo this week, which includes instructions on how to view and buy your photos. There is a 25% early bird discount for all orders placed by 12th December. If for any reason your viewing doesn’t make it to you in the next few days, please contact Pret-a-Portrait directly on 0800 021 7626 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Reception Nativity – A Miracle in Town.
Tickets will be sent home on Monday via your child’s book bag. NB There are a few tickets left for the Friday performance only.
Christmas Tree Sale – Help needed
The group organising the Christmas Tree Sale on behalf of a number of local schools are looking for volunteers to help them –at the moment we are the only school without any one helping. They will be selling trees between Saturday 7th December and Saturday 21st from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from outside the Methodist Church in the High Street (excluding Sundays). If you can help, please let us know when you might be available using the ParentMail form: Christmas Tree Help. 25% of the sale price goes to the schools.
Borrowed P.E. Kits
We hold a few spare P.E. kits in each class which are given to children who have forgotten to bring theirs into school. However, a number of these don’t appear to have been returned. If your child has borrowed a P.E. kit that has not yet been returned, please could you return it to the school office as soon as possible.
Finish Dates for Clubs this term
Most clubs finished this week with the exception of the following:
- Music clubs
- Orchestra will continue until Wednesday 4th December.
- Year 3/4 Choir will continue until Tuesday 10th December. It is important children keep coming after the music concert as they still need to rehearse for the end of term service and Rose Theatre In January.
- Year 5/6 Choir will continue until Thursday 5th December.
- Art club, Chess and Tennis club will finish next week (w/c 2nd December).
- Night Owls will finish on the last week of term on Thursday 19th December.
- Early Birds will finish on the last day of term, Friday 20th December.
- KMS Music Tuition will finish next week (w/c 2nd December).
Next Term’s Clubs
The following clubs now have letters available on our website to book places for next term:
- Drama (Infants & Juniors)
- EDA Dance
- Junior Football
- Junior Cricket
- Love the Ball – Junior Girls football
- Love the Ball – Year 1 football
- Year 2 Football
- Miss O’Connor’s dance – (Infants & Juniors)
- Tennis – Infants and Juniors
Unfortunately, Miss O’Connor will no longer be running a gymnastics club but we are investigating alternative providers.
Christmas Fair – Orchestra & Choir
Below are the times for the school music groups that are performing at the Fair. The children will need to arrive by the stage in the junior hall ten minutes before their slot. They do not wear school uniform but Christmas hats etc. would be great!
- Orchestra – 2:00 p.m.
- Year 3/4 Choir – 2:30 p.m.
- Year 2 Choir – 3:00 p.m.
For full details go to the vacancies page of the school website:
- Teaching Assistant – SEND Intervention: We are looking for someone who is passionate about inclusion and will lead intervention programmes for individuals and groups of children with additional needs, whether academic, behavioural or emotional. They are not class bound but have a role throughout the school.
- Teaching Assistant – Supporting A Child With Medical Needs: We have received additional funding to support a child and help them manage their medical condition and ensure that their school experience is as close to that of any other child as possible. Training will be given on the child’s specific condition.
- Additional teaching staff – Teacher or Higher Level Teaching Assistant: We are looking for someone who can teach classes across the school, releasing class teachers or covering sickness. This could either be on an ad hoc basis or a part time contract and we would be most interested to discuss what would suit individual circumstances. This would be an excellent opportunity for someone who would like to have some additional work, but not work full time.
- Lunchtime Supervisors – Help look after children when they play in the playground and when they eat their lunch in the school hall including checking that they have the correct meal.
If your house is on fire and you can only save 3 things, what would you save and why?
Closing dates for Reception/Nursery Applications 2020
Please note that the closing date for on-line applications for Reception 2020 is Wednesday, 15th January 2020. The closing date for Nursery applications is Friday, 6th March 2020.
Richmond Parkrun in aid of JDRF – Message from our pupil, Oli
Hi – I’m Oli in Tiger Class and I have type 1 diabetes. I will have to live with it for the rest of my life unless the scientists find a cure so I want to raise as much money as I can for their research. 60 children and parents from the school are joining me and my Squirrel sister Alice to run 5k tomorrow in the Richmond Parkrun in aid of JDRF, the type 1 diabetes research charity. This is a really long way for little legs so we need all the help we can get! If you would like to help please sponsor us or come to cheer us on. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/oliwalker1
We’ll be at Richmond Parkrun at 9am tomorrow. Message my mum for more info: 07816 926089.
Surbiton High School – Christmas Classics Lecture
Surbiton High School invite you to their second Christmas Classics Lecture, ‘The Rise and Fall of Greek Sculpture’ taking place on Thursday 12 December. Their speaker for the evening is Dr Peter Higgs, Curator of the Greek and Roman section at the British Museum. Please see attached poster for more details.
Charity Walk for Peace
I am very happy to confirm that we have been granted the matched funding of £2K from the CWFP. This is in addition to the £1440.00 fund raising efforts made via the CWFP Justgiving page and the money raised by the CWFP people at the summer fair.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for this half-term:
- Wednesday 4th December – Year 3 choir singing at Christ Church to Ladies Bible Group @ 9:30 a.m.#
- Thursday 5th December – Reception Christmas Performance 1 @ 9:15 a.m. Ticket Only*
- Thursday 5th December – Christmas Music Concert @ 7:00 p.m. (Junior Choirs, Recorders & Orchestra)*
- Friday 6th December – Reception Christmas Performance 2 @ 9:15 a.m. Ticket Only *
- Saturday 7th December – Christmas Fair, Juniors @ 12:00noon
- Monday 9th December – Owl Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Monday 9th December – Y5 & Y6 choir at Baptist Church @ 2:00p.m.#
- Tuesday 10th December – Squirrel Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Tuesday 10th December – Year 6 Choir at John Lewis, Kingston @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Wednesday 11th December – Fox Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Nursery Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Year 2 Christmas Journey @ 9:30 a.m.#
- Thursday 12th December – Junior Christmas Performance, Junior Hall @ 7:00 p.m.* ticketed event on a first come first serve basis
- Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day – wear a Christmas Jumper (All)
- Friday 13th December – Hedgehog Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Friday 13th December – Junior Christmas Performance @ 2:00 p.m.* ticketed event on a first come first serve basis
- Friday 13th December – PTA Disco (Reception to Year 6), Junior Hall#
- Monday 16th December – Year 2 Choir at the Methodist Church, including viewing of Christmas trees @ 10:00a.m.*#
- Tuesday 17th December – Christmas Lunch Day
- Tuesday 17th December – Choir singing at Fairview Court (Year 5 only) @ 2:00 p.m.#
- Wednesday 18th December – Year 4 Choir at Speirs House Nursing Home @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Thursday 19th December – Class Christmas Parties (All)
- Friday 20th December – Christmas Service @ 9.45 a.m. (All)*
- Friday 20th December – School Finishes @ 2:15 p.m. (Infants) and 2:30 p.m. (Juniors)
#Parent help needed