History and Geography have both featured strongly in this week’s activities. Years 1 and 2 had lots of fun in their ‘Around the World’ drama workshop today (more details below) and Year 1 also had a very successful trip to SeaLife on Wednesday, where the children walked through ocean tunnels and saw many different animals. This is the first time we have taken them on the train and we were so proud of how sensible they were. Year 3 have gone back to prehistoric times, producing some interesting cave paintings whilst Year 4 have been analysing the story of Cinderella in their research to help them write their own gladiator stories. Year 5 have been studying the idea of rescue, imagining themselves stuck in a cave and on Tuesday, despite the wet weather, Year 6 enjoyed their visit to the Natural History Museum. Thank you to all the parent volunteers who accompanied trips this week.
We are all very excited that the astroturf in the Infant playground is now completed and we hope to launch it on Monday. Thank you so much to Jason Brown who has devoted so much time and energy to this project. Thank you likewise to Clare James and Fiona Fardon from the PTA for all their input. It would not have happened without them! It is amazing to see the transformation and the extra space in the playground. We would also like to start using our sandpit shortly and would be very grateful for any donations of wellies for children aged 4-7 years.
Before school clubs/groups
Children should not be arriving at school for clubs or early bird reading groups more than 5 minutes before the club/group starts. Some children have been arriving 20 minutes early, when there may not be a member of staff in the office. It is lovely that they are so keen to join us, but we are worried for their safety. When you drop your child off for a morning club/group, please make sure that office staff have let them into the building before leaving them.
Yesterday, two boys in Year 6 were approached by a man who told them to get in to his car. Both boys are fine. The police view this as an isolated incident but have asked us to inform parents and get the Safer Schools Officer to talk to junior children. Please note, if you have given permission for your child to walk home we will let them do so unless you let us know different.
Following my note from last week, we have received another complaint from one of our neighbours on Lime Grove that they were blocked in by parents on Thursday afternoon. This is not acceptable behaviour and reflects negatively on the whole school community. Please only park in designated spaces, out of courtesy, to avoid disrupting the lives of our neighbours and to avoid injury to our children. We are now advising our neighbours to take photos or number plates when these incidents occur.
CLC Bookshop Closing
Sadly, Refresh, the Christian book shop on Tolworth Broadway is closing down on 25th January. They are having a 50% closing down sale on all items – books, children’s books, cards, gifts, jewellery, CDs and DVDs.
Yogareef will not be running a yoga school at the junior site but would like to offer all participants of the Wednesday class and all staff and parents at Christ Church a free Tuesday 12-1 p.m. class at The Space, New Malden.
Years 1 and 2 were very pleased to receive a visit from Perform this morning. The children had a wonderful time exploring the theme of Around The World and using drama, dance and singing to help develop their confidence, concentration and social skills.
To complement the workshop, there is a free educational app for iPhones and iPads based around the theme of Around The World. It contains fun games, creative tasks and videos of the themed songs and dances. Click here to download it free or here to find out more about the Around The World theme.
Perform run regular weekly classes in the local area and they are offering a special introductory discount to all parents of Christ Church New Malden School if they come along for a free trial session before Friday 7th February. They also offer holiday courses and we have included details of their February half term course here.
The thunk this week is ‘If something is boring, is it because of it or because of you?
Year 2 Cake Sale
Well done to Year 2 who managed to raise £141.90 at their cake sale last Friday.
Reminder: Year 1 & 2 MOC Dance Club
There will be no Miss O’Connor Dance club for Years 1 & 2 next Wednesday 22nd January due to the Junior Hall being unavailable.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for the remainder of this term:
- Tuesday 21st January @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Friday 24th January – Year 4 Roman Workshop @ 9:30 a.m. and 1:20 p.m.
- Monday 27th January – Year 3 & 4 Choir at Malden & Coombe Cluster Concert, Rose Theatre @ 2:00 p.m. #*
- Tuesday 28th January @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Tuesday 4th February @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Tuesday 11th February @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Tuesday 11th February – Year 6 Junior Citizen 2020 Programme, Chessington World of Adventures @ 12:00 p.m. #
- Tuesday 25th February @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Tuesday 3rd March @ 9.30am – Nursery tour
- Thursday 5th March – World Book Day
- Friday 6th March – Year 3 Stone Age to Iron Age Workshop at 9:30 a.m. and 1:20 p.m.
- Tuesday 17th March – Parents’ Evening @ 4:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.*
- Thursday 19th March – School Finishes Early at 2:15 p.m. Infants / 2:30 p.m. Juniors
- Thursday 19th March – Parents’ Evening @ 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.*
- Friday 20th March – Year 6 Learning Reviews 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m*
- Friday 20th March – PTA Disco @ 4:00 p.m. #
- Wednesday 1st April – Easter Bonnet Parade @ 9:00 a.m. (Infants)
- Wednesday 1st April – Year 5 – Easter Experience, Baptist Church @ 9:30 a.m. #
- Friday 3rd April – Easter Service @ 9:45 a.m. (All)*
- Friday 3rd April – School Finishes early
- @ 10.45a.m. AM Nursery
- @ 2:15 p.m. Infants
- @ 2.20 p.m. PM & Full Time Nursery
- @ 2:30 p.m. Juniors
- @ 5.15 p.m. Connect
#Parent help needed