Yesterday, we learnt that we have once again been awarded a Gold Sports Mark! This award recognises our success in taking part in competitions and in school sports clubs, something we have certainly seen this week! On Tuesday, Year 1’s mixed football team was in action at Chessington Community College, yesterday teams from Year 2 and Year 4 took part in the cluster swimming gala and today, our Year 6 mixed rounders’ team came first in the a borough festival. This week, I was dazzled by Year 6’s production of Beauty and the Beast. I was so impressed by the children’s confident delivery of their lines, the way the whole junior hall was so effectively used and the amazing props and costumes. This morning, our sports’ days kicked off with the Nursery Fun Day, it was lovely to see the enthusiasm with which the children tackled the various challenges. You can see photos of some of these events in the attached newsletter.
Who’s Who for next year?
It is the time of year which I approach with a mixture of excitement and sadness as I contemplate which staff will be joining us and which leaving. Above all, I am filled with gratitude for our fantastic team, for all their hard work and the unique contribution that they have all made this year.
In 2019/20, there will be far fewer changes than is usual for schools. We have only one teacher who will be leaving: Mr Ganyon. We will really miss his passion for maths and his humour. He has been a great colleague to work with. However, we are very pleased that he will be able to pursue his passion for maths by teaching it full time at a private school. Likewise, there will be only one teaching assistant who will be moving on: Mrs Scribbins will be moving with her family to Andover. She has brought fantastic systems to our school and provided exceptional care and support for the children in Year 3. I know her next school will be very lucky to have her. We are delighted that Miss Tickner will return from maternity leave on 4th November and Mrs Belcher (formerly Miss Langder) on 6th January 2020.
We are excited to welcome three new members of staff. Mrs Cook will be joining us as a Year 3 teacher. A former solicitor, Mrs Cook is an experienced teacher, having taught in both the UK and Canada. We are also welcoming back Miss Mahoney, who has proved so popular that we took the first possible opportunity there was to have her as a permanent member of staff. Finally, Miss Tully will be joining us as a teaching assistant in Year 3. Her last school was very sad to see her leave.
There will, however, be two other important changes. Mrs Bishop, who has worked at the school for 13 years, as a teaching assistant, an accompanist, an organiser of superb concerts and a teacher of recorders, has decided that it is time to free up time for other things. She has made such an impressive contribution that we will be calling on a number of different people to fill the gaps. Mrs Bond and Mr Marsh will be teaching recorder groups, alongside Mrs Brooks. Mrs Bond and Mrs Huggett will be maintaining the tradition of excellent concerts. Mrs Bae will be accompanying on occasions. I am glad that it will not be a final goodbye as Mrs Bishop has kindly offered to accompany still the choirs and the evening concerts.
Mrs O’Connor has decided to leave the school’s employment as Sports, Dance and Aerobics Coach, to concentrate on her after school clubs at Christ Church New Malden Primary School. We wish her all the best for the future and thank her for her contribution to the school over the last 17 years.
Next Year’s Classes
Here are the details of classes and teachers for next year:
- Seahorse to Squirrel with Mrs Honeybone & Mrs Ward (Teachers) and Mrs Hampton (TA)
- Turtle to Owl with Mr Boa and Miss Tickner (Teachers) and Mrs Johnson (TA)
- Squirrel to Fox with Miss Bruen (Teacher) and Mrs Forte (TA)
- Owl to Hedgehog with Miss Clements (Teacher) and Miss Pratt (TA)
- Fox to Tiger with Mrs Cook (Teacher) and Miss Tully (TA)
- Hedgehog to Lion with Miss Hunt (Teacher) and Miss Tully (TA)
- Lion to Macaw with Miss Ahn (Teacher) and Mrs Fereday (TA)
- Tiger to Eagle with Mrs Burkinshaw & Mrs Coltman (Teachers) and Mrs Fereday (TA)
- Eagle to Gazelle with Mrs Brooks (Teacher) and Mrs Winnett (TA)
- Macaw to Antelope with Miss Mullens (Teacher) and Mrs Winnett (TA)
- Herriot to Kipling with Mrs Summers (Teacher) and Mrs Erlebach (TA)
- Durrell to Potter with Miss Stray (Teacher) and Mrs Erlebach (TA)
Next Wednesday, children will spend the morning in their new classes with their new teachers.
Meet the Teacher Meetings
There will be an opportunity for you to meet your child’s new teacher and to hear about transition to the new year group at the Meet the Teacher meetings:
- Year 1 (for Reception parents) Thursday 11th July @ 9 a.m.
- Year 2 (for Year 1 parents) Monday 8th July @ 9 a.m.
- Year 3 (for Year 2 parents) Tuesday 2nd July @ 3:45 p.m. at the juniors. Children will be looked after in a different classroom.
- Year 4 (for Year 3 parents) Tuesday 9th July @ 9 a.m.
- Year 5 (for Year 4 parents) Wednesday 10th July @ 9 a.m.
- Year 6 (for Year 5 parents) Thursday 4th July @ 9 a.m.
Economic Awareness Day – Thursday 4th July
Next Thursday, children from Year 2 to Year 6 will be coming to our Economic Awareness Fair at the juniors. Each class is organising a game that children will pay to take part in and at the end we will find out which class has been most successful in raising money. Profits will be taxed, with the tax going towards the establishment of a savings account for every child in the school, profits after tax will be spent on something for the class. Please send in each child with up to £3 to spend.
Additions to our Music Clubs (message from music teachers)
There will be a few changes to recorder groups next year, now that Mrs Bishop will no longer be with us. Recorder clubs will be taken by Mr Marsh and Mrs Bond at the juniors, and also after an exciting trial this term, in year 2. There will be different groups according to your child’s ability and we will look forward to showcasing our recorder talent at concerts and performances through the year. As you know, school budgets are getting tighter, and under advice from the School Governors we will be asking for a small (voluntary) contribution of £1 per session to cover costs – this is remarkable value compared to Kingston Music Service where junior group lessons are £95 per term. We are hoping that our current recorder players will all sign up – and are really excited at the prospect of lots of new children starting, particularly our current year 1 and 2 children. In summary, we will be offering:
- Year 3 and 4 Choir Tuesday 8.00am-8.45am (Mrs Bond)
- Year 5 and 6 Choir Thursday 8.00am-8.45am (Mrs Huggett)
- Orchestra Wednesday 3.30pm-4.30pm (Mrs Huggett)
- Beginner recorders (Year 2) Wednesday 12.15pm-12.45pm (Mrs Bond)
- Beginner recorders (Juniors) Wednesday 12.50pm-1.20pm (Mr Marsh)
- Intermediate recorders (Juniors) Tuesday 12.20pm-12.50pm (Mrs Bond)
- Advanced recorders (Juniors) Thursday 12.50pm-1.20pm (Mr Marsh)
(We will be asking for the same contribution of £1 per session for our choirs and orchestra)
The list of clubs for next year is attached. Links to club’s website or their letter will go on our website club list as we get them, but we hope to have most by the end of next week. Please be aware that some clubs, including internal school clubs, will have a specific time/day when booking is available, so please check the relevant letters/website. Please note that there will be no clubs running the week commencing 21st October, week before the half term holiday.
Junior Sports Day – Friday 5th July, on the field
Please see below the arrangements for the Junior Sports Day. We are opening at 9.15 a.m. with a display of Country Dancing from the Year 4 Country Dancing Team.
Order of events:
- Year group races – two girls and boys from each year group
- Mixed Parent’s race – warm up first and bring your trainers – the winner receives the pride of their child for ever!
- Teachers’ race – medals for style and speed!
- Carousel of competitions around the field – feel free to come and cheer on the children. Coombe Girls and Boys will be helping run each event, so it’s a great chance to see some ex-pupils too.
The whole event will be over by noon.
The PTA are selling refreshments, tea, coffee, muffins, and croissants etc. for adults only. We are also selling second hand school uniform. Please remember to bring some change! Please do not buy food or drink for your or other children. We will supply top up water and biscuits for energy. We will then return to school for lunch. The winning team order will be announced in a special assembly at the end of the day. Your child will come home on Thursday with their PE kit. They need to come in their PE kit on Friday morning (plus hat and re-fillable water bottle). They can stay in their kit for the rest of the day.
Choir, Orchestra & Recorders
Please can members of the Orchestra and recorder groups bring in their instruments for an afternoon rehearsal on Monday 1st. There will be no more choir, orchestra or recorders after the concert on Thursday 4th July – 7.30 p.m. at Church. There is no advanced recorders next Wednesday 3rd July.
School Uniform for September 2019
To ensure that your child has their school uniform in time for September, PMG Schoolwear have asked us to inform parents that the purchase deadline, whether you place your order online or in store, is Friday 16th August 2019.
Drama Class Introductory Discount
We were very pleased to receive a visit from ‘Perform’ a few weeks ago. The children had a wonderfully energetic time exploring the theme of Peter Pan and using drama, dance and singing to help develop their confidence, concentration and social skills. Perform run regular weekly classes in the local area and they are offering a special introductory discount to all parents of our School if they come along for a free trial session before Monday 1st July. To claim your discount, just call Perform on 020 7255 9120 quoting CHCH010719 or visit perform.org.uk to find out more.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for the remainder of the summer term.
- Tuesday, 2nd July – Country Dancing Festival a.m.*#
- Tuesday 2nd July – Y3 Meet the New Teacher @ 3:45 p.m. (Year 2)*
- Wednesday 3rd July – New Classes Day (All)
- Thursday 4th July – Y6 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 5)*
- Thursday 4th July – Summer Music Concert @ 7:30 p.m. *
- Friday 5th July – Junior Sports Day @ 9:15 a.m. (Juniors)*
- Friday 5th July – Nursery closed for current pupils
- Monday 8th July to Friday 12th July – Residential Trip to the Isle of Wight (Year 6)
- Monday 8th July – Y2 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 1)*
- Tuesday 9th July – Y4 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 3)*
- Wednesday 10th July – Y5 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 4)*
- Thursday 11th July – Y1 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Reception)*
- Friday 12th July – Infant Sports Day @ 9:15 a.m. (Infants)*
- Monday 15th July – Reserve date for Junior sports day
- Wednesday 17th July – Leavers Discos (Years 2 and 6)#
- Friday 19th July – End of Year Service @ 9:45 a.m.*#
- Friday 19th July – Year 6 Leavers’ Service @ 10:45 a.m.*
- Friday 19th July – School Finishes early
- AM Nursery @ 10.45am
- Infants @ 2.15pm
- PM & Full time Nursery @ 2.20pm
- Juniors @ 2.30pm
- Connect @ 5.15pm
#Parent help needed