It was wonderful to join many of you in church this morning, where we celebrated the resurrection of Jesus with a lovely Easter service. We saw two intrepid news anchors report the events of the first Easter, with each year reporting live from the scene. Mrs Bond and Mrs Bishop have worked hard teaching the school the songs the children sung so beautifully.
This week, Year 4 have been at Carroty Wood, in Kent. I visited on Tuesday, and saw the children challenge themselves building shelters in the woods, climbing on the low ropes and high ropes and racing in pedal carts. They have returned exhausted but having enjoyed what many said was the best thing they had done at school! I am very grateful to the staff who organised the trip and looked after the children so well. You can see photos of the trip, and more, in the attached newsletter.
We have come to the end of another term, with so many things to celebrate. Do ask your children what they are excited to have learnt this term, and what they are looking forward to about next term. I know you will join me in thanking the staff, who work so hard to give our children the opportunities that have helped them learn. I hope that staff and children have a lovely holiday and a good rest and I hope that many parents will be able to, too.
Today, your child should have come home with next term’s curriculum newsletters. If you have not seen it, do click below for the relevant newsletter:
Addressing concerns about school dinners
I know that there have been a number of concerns about school dinners relating to portion sizes, changes to menus, shortage of food and lack of communication from ISS, the catering company. I have regularly passed on these issues to both ISS and Kingston and am pleased to say that today we have had a very productive meeting in which they agreed to the following:
- the cooks will cook extra portions for each sitting in order to reduce the risk of food running out;
- the cooks will create sample potion plates for each meal so that the children and adults alike will be able to see how large they should be
- Kingston LA will monitor the service every week to check whether there are any issues and a dedicated member of the school office will keep a log of any concerns as they arise;
- ISS (the catering company) will offer to meet with our parent representatives, both to discuss the quality of the service and to offer tasting sessions
- Kingston LA, ISS and the school will meet regularly (initially on a monthly basis) to review progress.
These developments do sound very promising. Please could I ask parents to alert the office to any concerns they may have as they arise (by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) and also to make sure that they have booked their children’s meals to avoid any shortages of food.
Next half-term, children in Years 2-6 will be doing a reading project based on a book. More details of each project will be given after the holidays, but if you want to get your copy of the book before then, here are the details:
- Y2 Stick Man by Julia Donaldson, The Tiger Who Came to Tea by Judith Kerr or George and the Dragon by Chris Wormell.
- Y3 The Hodgeheg by Dick King-Smith
- Y4 The Sheep-Pig by Dick King-Smith
- Y5 Wonder by R.J. Palacio
- Y6 Tom’s Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce
Preparation for Year 6 SATs (Tests)
Over the Easter holidays, we would love the children to have a really good break, so that they come back refreshed ready for the final push before SATs. It would also be good if they could read regularly, and listen to you read to them. Whilst they do so, do draw on the guidance that you were given about questions you can use to develop children’s comprehension skills, with a particular focus on inference.
Here is a list of key dates for the summer term.
- Monday, 16th April INSET DAY (All)
- Tuesday, 17th April First day of term (All)
- Wednesday, 18th April Year 1 Wisley Gardens trip (Year 1)# Build a Boat Day (Year 3 & Year 4)
- Thursday, 19th April Year 2 Wisley Gardens trip (Y2)#
- Friday, 20th April Year 3 Library visit (Year 3)#
- Monday 23rd April – Friday 27th April Patterned Clothes Week (Nursery)
- Wednesday, 25th April Blue Class Pizza Express Trip (Reception)#
- Friday, 27th April Year 6 Library visit (Year 6)#
- Wednesday, 2nd May Purple Class Pizza Express Trip (Reception)#
- Friday, 4th May Year 5 Library visit (Year 5)#
- Monday, 7th May Bank Holiday (All)
- Friday, 11th May Nursery Stay & Play (Nursery)* Year 4 Library visit (Year 4)#
- Friday 11th May Parent Representatives @ 2 p.m. Infants (All)
- Monday 14th – Thursday 17th May KS2 SATS (Year 6)
- Friday, 18th May Reception Explorers Day (Reception) Year 3 Library visit (Year 3)#
- Monday 21st May – Friday 25th May Financial Awareness Week (Years 1-6) Café Week (Nursery)
- Tuesday 22nd May Class Photos (All)
- Friday 25th May Parents’ SEN Social at 2 p.m. (Juniors)
- Monday, 28th May to Friday, 1 June Half Term
- Monday, 4th June INSET DAY (All)
- Thursday 7th June Year 6 Isle of Wight Parents’ Talk @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Saturday 23rd June Summer Fair 1-5 p.m. (Infants)
- Tuesday, 26th June New Reception Parents @ 7 p.m.*
- Wednesday 27th June Year 6 Performance @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Thursday 28th June Year 6 Performance @ 7 p.m. (Year 6)*
- Friday 29th June Junior Sports Day @ 9 a.m. (Juniors)*
- Friday 29th June Parent Representatives @ 2 p.m. Infants (All)
- Tuesday, 3rd July Year 2, 4 & 6 Country Dancing Festival a.m.(Years 2, 4 & 6)*#
- Wednesday 4th July New Classes Day (All)
- Thursday 5th July Y6 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 5)*
- Thursday 5th July Y3 Meet the New Teacher @ 3:45 p.m. (Year 2)*
- Thursday 5th July Summer Music Concert @ 7 p.m. (All choirs, recorder groups & orchestra)*
- Friday, 6th July Nursery closed for current pupils (Nursery) Leavers’ Discos (Years 2 and 6)#
- Monday, 9th July to Friday, 13th July Residential Trip to the Isle of Wight (Year 6)
- Monday 9th July Y2 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 1)*
- Tuesday 10th July Y4 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 3)*
- Wednesday 11th July Y5 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Year 4)*
- Thursday 12th July Y1 Meet the New Teacher @ 9 a.m. (Reception)*
- Friday 13th July Infant Sports Day @ 9 a.m. (Infants)*
- Monday 16th July Reserve date for Junior sports day
- Friday 20th July End of Year Service @ 9:45 a.m.*#
- Friday 20th July School Finishes @ 2:15 p.m. (Infants) and 2:30 p.m. (Juniors)
#Parent help needed
Summer Term – School opens for pupils on Tuesday 17th April at the usual times.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
This week’s ParentMail messages
- Juniors – French Club Summer term, Chess Club Summer term, Year 6 Trip to Lavender Hill Magistrates Court, Year 6 Boys Cluster football match (selected children),
- Infants – Year 1 Wisley Gardens Trip, Year 2 Wisley Gardens Trip
- Whole school – Cooking Club (Year 1, 2 and 3),