It has been lovely to see our new topics for learning progress. Year 1 enjoyed a visit from some of our grandparents as well as a trip to a toy museum (at school) to look at and play with different toys from the past. Year 3 are now experts on rock types, including chocolate rocks, which they have been using to describe the appearance and structure of different rocks. Year 6 held their own VE celebrations on Tuesday, with children in costume amongst a variety of bunting, flags, models and war-time treats. We have achieved sporting success once again this week as our Year 6 Boys’ Football team played at Chessington School on Tuesday, winning all 7 games and qualifying for the borough finals in December. This means that both the girls and boys are through to the finals in a record achievement! Well done to all involved.
Start of the day
Children should be in their classrooms at both sites for registration at 8:50 a.m. each morning. This lets us give everyone a very positive welcome and practice early morning skills. From next week, at the Infants, we will be closing classroom doors and locking the gates at 9:00 a.m. and any children arriving after this time will need to sign in at Reception.
Nut free school
Please can we remind parents that we are a nut-free school. We have a number of children in school who suffer from severe nut allergies and therefore, in order to keep them safe, there must be no nut products brought into school.
Christmas Fair – Orchestra & Choir
Below are the times for the school music groups that are performing at the Fair. The children will need to arrive by the stage in the junior hall ten minutes before their slot. They do not wear school uniform but Christmas hats etc. would be great!
- Orchestra – 2:00 p.m.
- Year 3/4 Choir – 2:30 p.m.
- Year 2 Choir – 3:00 p.m.
Junior Christmas Production
This year, every child at the juniors will take part in our Christmas production. This is an exciting new venture as we hear that Years 4 upwards have been disappointed that they do not have their own performance. There will be two performances as we believe that this will be a highlight of people’s Christmas calendars and children are therefore expected to take part in both of them:
- Thursday 12th December @ 19:00
- Friday 13th December @ 14:00
It will be a fun and song filled celebration of Christmas and refreshments will be available in the interval. Tickets will initially be available to purchase on ParentMail from 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday 20th November until 7:30 a.m. on Monday 25th November. There will be a limit of two tickets per family and they cost £2 for the evening performance and £1 for the afternoon performance. Prams will not be allowed in the Hall but can be left in the school grounds. Small children will have to sit on an adult’s lap. Do book your tickets promptly, so you are not disappointed. If, after the initial booking window, there are unsold tickets we will make them available to purchase from 3:00 p.m. on Monday 25th November. Tickets are only available through ParentMail.
As part of our commitment to the environment, we want to reduce the amount of waste we generate and plastic we use at Christmas. You may notice this in two specific ways:
- We will not print programmes for any Christmas nativity, play or production
- We will not use glitter or other plastic consumables as part of any Christmas crafts or activities.
Christmas Tree Sale – Help needed
The group organising the Christmas Tree Sale on behalf of a number of local schools are looking for volunteers to help them. They will be selling trees between Saturday 7th December and Saturday 21st from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from outside the Methodist Church in the High Street (excluding Sundays). If you can help, please let us know when you might be available using the ParentMail form Christmas Tree Help. 25% of the sale price goes to the schools.
5k Run for Diabetes – Message from our pupil, Oli
Hi – I’m Oli in Tiger Class. I’m 8 years old and I have Type 1 Diabetes. On Saturday 30th November, exactly two years since I was diagnosed, I’m running 5k to raise money for diabetes research. My Squirrel sister Alice is running too and some of my Christ Church School friends and their parents. We are doing the Richmond Park Run which starts at 9 a.m. I would love it if you could join in either running or cheering us on. You can find out more about what it’s like to have Type 1 on my fundraising page: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/oliwalker1 Please contact my mum if you would like to join us. email@example.com, 07816 926089.
Staff Car Park
Please can we remind parents not to park in or block the staff car park at drop off or pick up times. We have staff leaving and arriving at different times and therefore need to have constant access.
This week’s lunchtime thunk is ‘Which is more important, being right or being nice?’
Head Lice Alert
We have received reports from parents recently regarding children with head lice. Please would all parents check their children’s heads for either lice, small eggs that attach themselves to the hair follicles or for live insects. If all parents check their children regularly and treat as soon as possible, the number of cases will go down.
Gill Hines Workshop – Saturday 23rd November
Gill Hines is running a workshop on the Growth Mindset; a theory centred around the belief that intelligence and learning can be developed and improved. The workshop is about the things a parent can do, say and demonstrate that will help their child or young person develop a more exciting outlook on themselves and their world. If this would be of interest to you, please see the attached flyer. (We have received very positive feedback from people who have attended her workshops in the past.)
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for this half-term:
- Wednesday 4th December – Year 3 choir singing at Christ Church to Ladies Bible Group @ 9:30 a.m.#
- Thursday 5th December – Reception Christmas Performance 1 @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 5th December – Christmas Music Concert @ 7:00 p.m. (Junior Choirs, Recorders & Orchestra)*
- Friday 6th December – Reception Christmas Performance 2 @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Saturday 7th December – Christmas Fair, Juniors @ 12:00noon
- Monday 9th December – Owl Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Monday 9th December – Y5 & Y6 choir at Baptist Church @ 2:00p.m.#
- Tuesday 10th December – Squirrel Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Tuesday 10th December – Year 6 Choir at John Lewis, Kingston @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Wednesday 11th December – Fox Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Nursery Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Year 2 Christmas Journey @ 9:30 a.m.#
- Thursday 12th December – Junior Christmas Performance, Junior Hall @ 7:00 p.m.* ticketed event on a first come first serve basis
- Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day – wear a Christmas Jumper (All)
- Friday 13th December – Hedgehog Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Friday 13th December – Junior Christmas Performance @ 2:00 p.m.* ticketed event on a first come first serve basis
- Friday 13th December – PTA Disco (Reception to Year 6), Junior Hall#
- Monday 16th December – Year 2 Choir at the Methodist Church, including viewing of Christmas trees @ 10:00a.m.*#
- Tuesday 17th December – Christmas Lunch Day
- Tuesday 17th December – Choir singing at Fairview Court (Year 5 only) @ 2:00 p.m.#
- Wednesday 18th December – Year 4 Choir at Speirs House Nursing Home @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Thursday 19th December – Class Christmas Parties (All)
- Friday 20th December – Christmas Service @ 9.45 a.m. (All)*
- Friday 20th December – School Finishes @ 2:15 p.m. (Infants) and 2:30 p.m. (Juniors)
#Parent help needed