We have made it to the end of a very eventful half term. Our parents’ evenings this week certainly seemed busy and I hope you all found the sessions useful. Year 1 have made some lovely dinosaur balloons whilst learning about instructional writing and they also enjoyed meeting their Chums in Year 4 this week. Our football teams have been active this week with our Year 6 boys’ team playing against Corpus Christi on Wednesday and the Year 4 team playing at a very wet Kew Ground yesterday. You can see photos of some of these and more in the attached newsletter.
Parent Governor Election Result
Following the recent election, we are pleased to announce that Emma Scott has been re-elected as a Parent Governor. We are delighted that she will be continuing in this role for another four years as we have found her insights and expertise so invaluable.
Farewells and Thank Yous
We would like to congratulate Mrs Kuhrt on being headhunted for a class teacher post. We would like to thank her for all her hard work in the school, on both sites for 11 years as a class teacher, expert in computing and as a cover teacher and wish her every happiness in the future.
We would also like to thank Mrs Kim for all her hard work as an apprentice in nursery. We are delighted that we will still be benefiting from her support as a volunteer.
Award of Primary Science Quality Mark
We were thrilled to hear yesterday that we have been awarded a prestigious Primary Science Quality Mark. Jane Turner, the PSQM National Director said: “Gaining a Primary Science Quality Mark is a significant achievement for a school. The profile and quality of science teaching and learning in each awarded school is very high. Children are engaging with great science both in and outside the classroom, developing positive attitudes towards science as well as secure scientific understanding and skills. Science subject leaders, their colleagues, head teachers, children, parents and governors should be very proud.”
I would like to thank Geraldine Summers for all her hard work in leading our school through the process and submitting the extensive evidence needed.
Job Vacancy – Clerk to the Governors
The Clerk provides administrative support to the Governing Body and its committees. They normally attend 12 evening meetings each year (4 per term) in term time and each meeting typically lasts 2½ hours. There will be additional paid hours for administrative duties such as preparing and circulating documents, checking information for governors and maintaining records; all hours will be recorded and claimed on a time basis at £12.43 per hour. For more details and an application form, please go to the Vacancies page of the school website.
Please remember that the deadline for the reading bingo is the first Friday (8th November) after half term.
Year 5 & 6 Choir
There are a number of exciting Christmas events coming up next half term for the Year 5 and 6 Choir. If there are any children who have not yet joined but would be interested in doing so, please could you complete the sign up form which is still available on ParentMail.
The ‘Thunk’ is a question that the children are given to discuss at lunchtime each week in the juniors. We thought you would enjoy hearing the topics as they are rather fun and thought provoking. This week the question has been ‘Is love invisible?’
SeOUL Residential Drawing Competition Winner Announcement
Thank you to all those pupils who entered our drawing competition. The PTA are happy to announce the winner was Lola Floyd of Gazelle! Her winning picture will be incorporated into the design of the estate agent boards shortly popping up around New Malden, as well as a big banner at the school gates, advertising our fair! The entrants were so outstanding that the decision to choose just one winner was a very tough one, so we may be incorporating other entrants’ pictures into other parts of our fair – so keep an eye out!
Secondary School Applications Deadline next week
Applying after the deadline reduces the chances of your child getting a place at the school of your choice. The deadline is next Thursday, 31st October please go to http://www.eadmissions.org.uk/ to apply, if you haven’t done so already.
New Hot Meals Menu Available
ISS have let us know that the new autumn menu will be available on the http://www.feedinghungryminds.co.uk/ website from 3.30pm this afternoon – do please make sure that you book for the first day back after half term (and onwards) if your child wants a hot meal.
International Athlete Visit
We’re very excited to be welcoming top athlete Frederick Afrifa to the school on 8th November. Frederick Afrifa will be leading a sponsored fitness circuit with all pupils, and will follow-up with a talk and question and answer session. You will have received a separate email with further details and a sponsorship form. Please make sure that your child/children have their PE kit in school on the day. We talked to the children and they watched a video about this in assembly on Wednesday.
I wish you all a pleasant and restful half term and look forward to welcoming the children back to school on Monday 4th November.
Tabitha White, Headteacher
Here is a list of key dates for next half-term:
- Monday 4th – Wednesday 6th November – Year 4 Bikeability Plus sessions
- Friday 8th November – International Athlete visit
- Wednesday 13th November – Individual and Sibling School Photos (All)
- Friday 29th November – Juniors’ Music Concert (Y4-Y6) @ 9:00 a.m. (selected children)*
- Thursday 5th December – Reception Christmas Performance 1 @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 5th December – Christmas Music Concert @ 7:00 p.m. (Junior Choirs, Recorders & Orchestra)*
- Friday 6th December – Reception Christmas Performance 2 @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Saturday 7th December – Christmas Fair, Juniors @ 12:00noon
- Monday 9th December – Owl Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Monday 9th December – Y5 & Y6 choir at Baptist Church @ 2:00p.m.#
- Tuesday 10th December – Squirrel Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Tuesday 10th December – Year 6 Choir at John Lewis, Kingston @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Wednesday 11th December – Fox Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Nursery Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Thursday 12th December – Year 2 Christmas Journey @ 9:30 a.m.#
- Thursday 12th December – Junior Christmas Performance, Junior Hall @ 7:00 p.m.*
- Friday 13th December – Christmas Jumper Day – wear a Christmas Jumper (All)
- Friday 13th December – Hedgehog Class Christmas Performance @ 9:15 a.m.*
- Friday 13th December – Junior Christmas Performance @ 2:00 p.m.*
- Friday 13th December – PTA Disco (Years 1-6), Junior Hall#
- Monday 16th December – Year 2 Choir at the Methodist Church, including viewing of Christmas trees @ 10:15a.m.*#
- Tuesday 17th December – Christmas Lunch Day
- Tuesday 17th December – Choir singing at Fairview Court (Year 5 only) @ 2:00 p.m.#
- Wednesday 18th December – Year 4 Choir at Speirs House Nursing Home @ 11:00 a.m.#
- Thursday 19th December – Class Christmas Parties (All)
- Friday 20th December – Christmas Service @ 9.45 a.m. (All)*
- Friday 20th December – School Finishes @ 2:15 p.m. (Infants) and 2:30 p.m. (Juniors)
#Parent help needed